Google
Rakeback deals at www.rakemeback.se

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Not as Planned

So my Tuesday turned into a day not as planned. I first thought I had to travel on Weds so I decided I could not go down to the Muck to get into the $100/200 or whatever they were running that day because I needed to get some real sleep. Then of course the trip gets moved so I had the night to go out. By then I had already committed myself at work and going home so I did. Then at home I decided I did really want to play anyway and try to play my way out of this horrible run of cards. What better way than to go up to Parkers and play a little $8/16 and work on my chops.

Boy am I glad I did that, really. I picked up right where I left off, I won a total of three small pots the first 4 hours I played. That's right 3. I got nothing to play, when I did it was out of position in the blinds with 5-7 or more in the pot already, so I could not raise and protect my hand, and then I would hit complete air on the flop. AK, 4,5,8 two suits not mine on flop, I check, many bets, muck. Pocket 10's A,J,x board, I check, many bets, many calls, muck. Pocket KK's A on flop I bet many calls, turn miss, I check many bets and calls, muck. Wonderful. Whose dog did I shoot? I got into the game 4 buyins and almost just gave up, if I were playing $100/200 I would have gone broke before I could have gotten out. But then a friend of mine from LA who just happened to want to play a little low limit came into the room, and I decided to stay. I played with him for a while and had some fun and actually started hitting some hands. I went on a mini rush and almost got back to even but gave away a big pot to a player who made a great bluff that I might have been the only player at the table who would have laid down to and kept myself stuck a tiny bit. I had K,Q of diamonds and had turned a flush and check raised the turn on a paired board. The river brought the third card to the paired board making three jacks I bet out and he raised. I just mucked the hand, what can I really beat, any pair now beats me he was calling to whole way and betting on the flop, he has to have me beat right?? Nope he made the play with the naked A of diamonds no pair. That is not a move you see EVER in an $8/16 game. It is a move you rarely see in $100/200 and if it did happen you did not see it. I loved the move, it was awesome, creative, and won him the pot. He was so proud to show me the bluff, and I am glad he did because now I know he has the ability to make that kind of move and I will never forget it.

Lesson here, never show the bluff. I know it makes us feel really cool to pull off a huge bluff and we really, really want to show the world, but don't. Just know that you pulled off a world class bluff and gloat to yourself. Don't give the table information that can come back to haunt you. It will always come back to haunt you, unless of course you decide to quit poker after reaching such a high or the player is too stupid to remember, which of course the bluff would not have worked on because who lays down a K high flush??

So the run continues, I lost 1/2 a buyin. Getting nicked to death right now. I may play again this week and possibly at the Muck.

Also, I played against Schnieds of 2+2 in LV when I was there and did not know it. This was the kid who beat me with the AK when I turned a set from a few posts ago. It appears he is writing a blog for his local newspaper. Go check it out here www.startribune.com/blogs/cardshark Good luck to all those at the WSOP main event starting Friday. I really wish I were there. Maybe next year. Hope you are all winning. Talk to you soon..SJ

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

why would you bet out on the river with a flush when there is JJJ on the board??

not possible to have a worse hand call. if you check, you also can snap off a bluff (the only thing you can beat). no point/sense in betting this river...that's how you lost the hand in my opinion, you handed him a bluffing opportunity that you can't call.

2:07 PM  
Blogger Seattlejohn said...

I agree, once I decided to bet the river I needed to make the call anyway. I acted too fast, and made a value bet that if raised is 98% of the time a laydown. I agree the better line would have been to check call the river expecting to lose the pot. I thought I was value betting the best hand.

9:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok..but very hard to get value unless you think some A high hands may call..not too likely though.

10:15 AM  
Blogger Seattlejohn said...

Agreed, I sucked on this one.

4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home