Google
Rakeback deals at www.rakemeback.se

Monday, May 01, 2006

Hooray, Back in Action

I decided to start out small and finally get back into live play action on Friday the 28th of April. It has been 5 full weeks since my last live play session. That has been the longest time between live play sessions in seven years maybe, for sure five years. That was a long time. I missed it, but not as bad as I thought I would. I am ready to get back at it and hopefully with a different attitude and approach. I was on a pretty long bad streak, but won't be able to tell for sure if I am done with it until I play some more poker for real in a shorter period of time. We are approaching WSOP time and I hope to make at least two trips down there. I was going to go down to the Mirage this weekend and play in a tournament, but that trip now got moved to the end of the month to play in a tournament at the Mandalay WPT event. Never played there, should be fun.

So how did I do on Friday? I went up to play at Parkers in Seattle. I did not want to drive to the Muck, and not get into a game. I also did not really want to just jump right into the $50/100 game without at least getting a little cards in to warm up. I called up my friend Jason, I posted his picture last year from the WSOP with Clonie, and he agreed to meet me up there to splash around in the $8/16 game. He is a way better No-limit player and loves to play tournaments mostly, but plays a pretty mean NL cash game as well. We both got into the game at about the same time and at the same table. I had him to my direct right which was where I wanted him. He started off playing just about every hand and hitting just about every hand. He was playing pretty poorly for a limit game however and left a lot of bets on the table. First off his starting hand selection was very questionable, second once you decide to play a weak hand in limit, don't call with it, raise. Third, once you hit that stupid hand don't bet with it, check raise. No one is going to put you on that hand to begin with so get some value out of it. That said he did just fine and ended up winner for the night. He was playing a more NL style, which is usually a good way to end up losing money but it worked for him that night.

I was not going to play loose in this game tonight. I wanted to start to warm up for next Tuesday so I played a very tight aggressive game. The few hands I did get goofy with early I missed and then vowed to not even get into that mode in this game. It was not even necessary in the game anyway. Nobody would respect a raise and all pots were 4 or 5 handed anyway. Typical Parkers on a Friday night in a low limit game. Some things just never change, always good to see. I built my stack up slowly but surely all night. Not a huge night, but not a small night either in terms of bets. Change of course here. I stopped posting numbers a while back because I did not like the e-mails about the money. Well if Daniel can post about $400,000 swings I can post about $5000 swings. Besides, right around when I stopped posting actual numbers I started my downswing. So here it is, I won $451 in 5 hours, 28 BB or 6.76 BB per hour. Good win rate, I will take it. Now I hope to repeat that in the bigger game on Tuesday.

Us poker players are pretty funny about being superstitious. I am no different. I always play with something orange on. Maybe I will copy Johnny Chan and start to play with an actual orange in front of me, not. I will stick with the same clothes while I am winning, and change them when I am not. I always wear the same sunglasses, and will take them off and on during a session to change my luck. I have a lot more but that list will suffice for now. Something an overeducated person like myself, who knows better, just should not do or believe in, but I do and I actually think it is funny. At least I can laugh about it. I get a kick out of other poker player superstitions as well. If you have one post it here, love to hear them.

I hope you are all winning and will talk to you again soon as I will make my re-appearance down at the Muck tomorrow. SJ

2 Comments:

Blogger DrChako said...

I refuse to admit to a superstition, but I always play with my St. Andrews hat with the golfball marker clipped to the side. I lost the marker (it was from the Wynn), but I can't bring myself to take off the clip.

Someone pointed out my other superstition - which was actually a huge tell. I would rub my face on a drawing hand. I'm guessing the tell was so obvious that no one got it, because I kept hitting and kept getting paid - twice by someone with just Ace-high!

Good to see you're back.

-DrC

2:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so, john do you have a system for
reducing the tells you give out?
j.s.

7:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home