Google
Rakeback deals at www.rakemeback.se

Monday, October 31, 2005

Friday Night Not Alright for Me

Friday's have been a nightmare for me the last few months. I just can seem to get off on the right foot. I decided last Friday to test my luck again, and unfortunately I had the same shitty results. I got down there to see a short $50/100 game. Good for me I thought. Last Friday I went down and could not even get into a game, so at least I got a seat right away. It was a 4 handed game, and as soon as I sat down, one person quit. 4 handed still ok, even though the lineup sucked. Three decent players, no real easy spots. Then I proceed to make second best hand for about and hour. I play K,10 on the button for a raise, it comes 10 high and I bet and get raised and payoff only to see A,10 in the blind. That lasted until I was stuck $2000. I then looked at the other players and said are we gong to keep playing? I did not want to rebuy if one was going to quit and break the game as it looked like no one else was going to show to fill any seats. Everyone said they would at least give me an hour, except one who said that sounds about right. So what happens, I play a few more hands lose $600 more and the guy quits which of course breaks the game. Shit, I hate when you can't trust someone. I should know better to trust a poker player, but the guy who lied was someone I thought I could trust. Not anymore.

The game breaks and I don't feel like going home yet, so I look for a seat in a $20/40 game and there is not even a game. What? Friday night and the next biggest game is $10/20. So I go sit in that game as most of the guys in the game want to play $20/40 and we could get it converted. I thought I could at least get a little money back but that did not happened either. I ran horrible all night, played a few too many stupid hands, and just kept on losing. I could say that I took some bad beats along the way, but they were hands I should not have been in to begin with so I deserved to lose. This was just a bad all around session, played poorly, ran shitty, and deserved to lose. Friday night has not been alright with me for a while. I am going to take this Tuesday off as I am pissed at myself for the way I played, and I am going to NYC the weekend so I can't play Friday, which is probably a good thing. I will play again in a week from tomorrow. Hope you are doing better than I last week. Net for the night -$3,949.

As for the comment from the last post about playing K,Q. I would never fault someone for playing K,Q suited. That is never a donkey hand. It may be way behind in the face of a raise and a three bet, but hey if you want to call and see a flop that is an alright play in my book. I would almost never make that play, and I almost never call in early position with K,Q off in a big game, but you also have to look at who you are playing to make that determination. Also, you have to look at HOW it is played. I took the lead, raised from middle position as the first to enter the pot, got cold called behind me, bet the flop, got called, and then only on the turn did I get pressure. I then had to make a decision if I wanted to call based on the pot and what I thought I was up against. I was getting the right odds to call the turn raise so I did. I got lucky yes, but that does not change the fact that the hand was played in my mind correctly based on the reaction of the other player. It would have been a completely different thing if I had just limped with the hand first, got raised, then called, then missed the flop completely(which I did), check, called a bet, saw the turn, checked again, called again and then made the straight on the river. That is donkey poker in my mind, BIG difference, do you see why? It would also have been different had he three bet before the flop. I would have check folded that flop. If I had continued and made the straight then you could call that lose and fishy. Aggression is a huge factor in winning poker, if you can only win by making a hand then you need luck to win, I for one do not like to rely on luck. I would rather be lucky than good yes, but it always helps if you can be good and get lucky, because sometimes you are not lucky and you have to make shit up to win. If all you do is call, you take away the way to win from being aggressive. That can be the difference between a losing and winning session. Had that player shown aggression he would have won the pot. That would have been the difference in my booking a win that night or not. It can be that simple sometimes. He chose to slow play a big hand. That does work most of time, but then you have to fade luck, he could not, I won, that's poker. Talk to you soon..SJ

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

nyc. think your car will have different plans and end up veering towards Foxwoods or AC?

8:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now I don't know anything, but it seems like you are way too caught up in not being stuck? Maybe you are playing too high.

12:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you should give the guy that left the benefit of the doubt. I believe he said "I don't know how long I'll be here but at most it will be an hour." In fact, he stayed over 20 mins. Nearly 99% of the time, he's the last one to leave and closes out the game every night. Restore your faith in him and give him a second chance.

12:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home