Google
Rakeback deals at www.rakemeback.se

Monday, December 04, 2006

A Little Friday Poker

I got out last Friday to play just a little poker. I went down to the Muck to see what they had going. Unfortunately, not much. I put my name up for $10/20, a little $5/10 NL and the $20/40 game. I got into the $20/40 game first and just stayed there the whole night.

The game started full but because I got there late it started to breakdown almost the moment I sat down. That is not a bad thing as I would rather play short anyway, I just did not want the game to break. I pretty much went nowhere all night. Playing pretty tight and not wanting to make too many plays at pots. At this limit, you get a lot of people calling you down with weaker hands so you pretty much must turn over the nuts or a very good hand to win the pots. Not a whole lot of bluffing allowed.

Then as the game started to get real short 4 handed, we had a Christmas gift drop in our laps. A really drunk guy, who I had not played with before, but I guess is a regular on the weekends sat down. He was an absolute action junky, he had to raise and bet at every pot. His bold aggression started him out winning a few pots, but I adjusted to his game and just started to isolate 3 bet, and pound on him with what I knew to be stronger hands than his. We got down to 4 handed as one of the players just did not want to play with this guy, and I managed to pound on him and the other players sitting at the table. Turned into a good night.

One of the byproducts that an action player will bring to the table is that it will cause others to play hands and call down with weaker holdings than they would normally play. There was one player in particular, who I thought had a good game, that started to play very bad hands against the drunk and then played passively once in the pot. This is not a good strategy. The way I like to play them is to first of all try to seat to their immediate left, which I did. Then keep playing the hands that you would normally play short, but play them for 3 bets almost all the time to isolate. If the others want to call so be it but it will cost them some extra bets. Then just play aggressively post flop. If you flop what you think is the best hand just go to war with it. The drunk will try to out aggression you, don't let him do that. If you are reading ok, and use some basic probability to narrow holdings, you will end up on the right side of that equation at the end of the night. I do not adjust my preflop hands played much. He may steal a few more blinds or pots that are small, but when you catch him you will win the big pots because he can not lay a pair on a draw down, and will call you down with A high a lot.

The other thing that happens is that others will call you down with the same weak hands as they think you are just trying to push them out of the pots to get heads up with the drunk guy. If you keep your prefolp strategy strong you will catch them along the way as well.

All in all a pretty good night, ended up north of a dime but less than two. I have a pretty busy week this week so I will not be playing any higher limit this week. I may get in a low limit session at Parkers on Tuesday after the Sonics game for work. Hope you are all winning and talk to you soon..SJ

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home