Google
Rakeback deals at www.rakemeback.se

Monday, October 02, 2006

Black Monday

Wow, I really did not think the Internet Gambling Act would make it out of session this time around. I knew we were in danger but they snuck it through on the Safe Ports Act over the weekend.

I am really pissed that they got it though in such a backhanded way. Tie it to some must pass legislation and then it gets passed because we need to pass the bigger bill. I am sure there are some senators that did not even care that it was attached or maybe even knew what they were passing, and think this will just pass below the radar screen. I hope us poker players out there will learn where their fine legislators voted on this and never vote for them again based on this one piece of legislation, I know I will. I would have not voted for them anyway as our two state senators are doorknobs, but if they did vote for this, I for sure will never vote for them again. I also hope I get the chance to tell them in person how stupid this bill is.

OK what do we do now? Nothing really. #1) The big poker sites like Party and Pokerstars that are public are most likely screwed. As a public company they can not openly break the law and hope to survive. They will most likely ban US based players and block our IP addresses. I would look to see if these sites go back private to continue to serve the US market. They also might find a clever way around the law but I would not bet on it right now. #2) This is a boon to sites like UB, Full Tilt, and the other larger private sites. They will continue to serve the US market and most likely collect those of us who are going to keep playing anyway. I pretty much only play there anyway so I guess I don't change a thing. #3) Start looking for offshore payment sites like netteller and get an account set up there so you can use it. It takes a few days so start the process now. We may have to get a little more creative depending on how hard the US is going to try to enforce offshore payments. There may have to be one more step in the process like actually getting an offshore bank account and fund that to fund netteller, but that is not that hard to do. #4) The last step is to look at mirroring sites and software to allow you to play from offshore. I have not gotten that part figured out, but I will let you know what I do if we have to go to that extreme. It really bums me out to think we have to go through this to continue to play the game that we love. Right now however I am going to do nothing. I already use Netteller, and the law is not signed( a certain formality), and it will take some time for the law to catch up with the practical ways to enforce. I just hope the sites don't do some kneejerk stuff to make it tough on us. I also doubt this will happen either.

What is really a bummer to think about is that this will certainly put a damper on poker growth in the US. The marginal players, and those that are scared will mostly likely stop playing for some time, maybe forever. It is certainly going to be tougher to get started, and there are going to be lots of hoops to jump through to open accounts. Those that do not have the courage of their convictions will likely give up trying. What is also sad to think about is the size of the tournaments and prize pools. I would take the under on number of participants in next years WSOP events. There will not be as many online qualifiers next year I would think, and this is going to translate into all tournaments across the board. I would only say this right now. I may change my opinion as we see how this law actually impacts both players and sites. Only some time will tell.

I guess we all have to go back to live rooms for a bit. I am fortunate enough to live next to some rooms that are easy to get to. I mostly play live anyway so not that big of a deal, but I feel for those of you who can not get to a live room easily. Don't kneejerk however and give up on online poker. We just have to wait and see how this starts to pan out.

As for Quit Lion, I have never seen him at the Muck, but that does not mean that he has not played there. Also, I did go out and play up at Parkers on Friday night. Pretty much a continuation of my year. Get nothing to play, take a few beats on good hands, get bored not playing the junk I am dealt, go home a small loser. I am really tired of that story as well. I am still planning on heading to Vegas this weekend. Should be lots to talk about at the tables. Hope you are all winning and talk to you soon..SJ

2 Comments:

Blogger Anthony said...

I'm a Canadian that plays poker as your average joe. I'm shocked that this was able to pass especially the way it was passed.

It was too bad that the move didn't backfire where the Bill that needed to pass didn't because one person stuck on an amendment in the last minute.

2:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so, UB and others that are private will continue to allow U.S. play? i was under the impression they would be in big trouble if they did?

6:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home