Google
Rakeback deals at www.rakemeback.se

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Uneventful Spectacle

Wow what a spectacle this Year WSOP is. I only went down for 24hrs, but the Rio room is way better then the old Binion's spot. Big room, lots of light, great tournament room. Only complaint is that there are not enough bathrooms to handle the crowd during a break, and that the room is a mile from the front door.

I got down on Monday night and went over to register for the event. That days tournament was still going on and Aaron was still in it so I hung around and watched the $5,000 buy-in limit event. I really wanted to play that one as I am a much better limit player than no-limit but I did not get down in time to start. Aaron was sitting a a table with John Juanda, Barry Shulman, and Amir Vahedi. Pretty fun listening to the table banter as Aaron, Barry, and Amir can talk a lot of shit at the table. Aaron made it pretty deep into the tournament but just as with all the other tournaments this year he could just not get over the hump. I figured I would take one shot at a one table satellite to get into the Tuesday event so I bought into a $225 one table tournament. I was doing well and was chip leader with 4 to go and then went card dead. Tried to steal with K,J suited and got called all in by a short stack with A,10 and lost about half my stack. The I was getting blinded out and had go all in with A,9 and got called by 3,4 off in the BB. Of course a 4 came and I was out third. So I just paid the $2,000 and went to the Bellagio to get some dinner and play some cards. Put my name on the $80/160 list and went to Fix for some dinner with my friend Joe. Great food. Came out and started to play around 10:30pm. As has been happening for the last two months I just can not seem to get my share of good starting hands. I would like to have a few hands that play themselves rather than have to really work at winning with garbage. I do not remember the last time I saw KK's or AA's. I think I have seen AA's one time in the last 3 weeks of playing. That is just way outside a normal statistical distribution of how often you should see them. I bet I have played over 1,500 hands in the last few weeks and only seen them once, and have not held KK's once. I have had 2,7 about 200 of those times(just kidding, but it feels like it). I managed to struggle along and make up hands as I went and squeezed out a small $736 profit. To much work these days to make any money. I guess it beats the alternative of getting great starting hands and having them cracked over and over. Went to bed at 4:30am to get some sleep for the tourn.

Showed up to the Rio at about 11:15am and what a crowd. Massive amounts of people. I think the ultimate number in the tournament was 1072. There was also the second day of the $5000 limit event going on, as well as they started the final table of the $5000 w/ rebuys Pot Limit event. Needless to say the room was buzzing. I took my seat and to my right I had Eskimo Clark. Only name I played with, and only for about 45 minutes. They broke my table quick and off to a new one with no names at it. I was there for only 30 minutes and moved again. No one there either. I saw lots of them, but only played with one. I also never managed to see any cards. Started with $2000 in chips and never had it above $2300. No cards, no great match ups, nothing. Completely uneventful tournament. I stole a few blinds, but not enough to make a difference. I played one key pot with KJ clubs in late position. Three of us in the pot, flop came all low cards. Check, Check, I bet and got called in both spots. Turn was a second club, first position bet, call, I called the $300 into a $1500 pot. River blanked out for me. First guy bet $800, second guy raised, of course I mucked. They both turned straights, and one had the higher straight with lower clubs. I would have won a huge pot had the river been a club but alas it did not happen. I was called by A,5 spades, and 5,7 of clubs. That short stacked me for the rest of the day and I did not see a big hand the rest of the day. I managed to make it through about half the field, and to the third level of play. I finally picked up pocket 10's in middle position with only $900 in chips left playing 50/100 blinds. Right in front on me there was a raise, I moved in, and behind me someone else moved in. The first guy mucked, I turn over my hand to see he has pocket AA's. Flop A,8,8. DEAD. Of course a 10 has to come off on the river to taunt me. Full house over full house and out. Bummer I was hoping for much more fun. I went over to watch Aaron bust out about 30 minutes after me and we shared a cab back to the Bellagio with Vinnie Vihn from Texas. Cool guy, wired but cool.

I was planning on playing some more $80/160 to see if I could win the rest of my buy-in but there were two tables and they were not moving seats. I sat down and watched Aaron play $300/600 stud. He was winning and I got to talk to John D'Agustino while I waited. My seat finally came up about 3.5 hours later but it was too late to play before my plane so I just finished watching Aaron play a new game heads up. He started a Limit Holdem(300/600), Pot limit Holdem(100/200 blinds) and a Pot limit Omaha(100/200 blinds). What a great mix. My favorite games as well, but way outside the bankroll that I had brought with me, plus I had to go anyway.

In the end it was a very fun 24hrs, but not very profitable or eventful poker. I wish I was going down again but I doubt I will make it back. Good luck to all in the main event and I hope Aaron cashes in something. Total for trip a net loss of -$1,489. SJ

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home